Thursday, October 6, 2011

Is the traditional business model of publishing changing?



As I have researched the Internet about the best way in getting my book published, I have discovered some changes with the business model of traditional publishing. First, let me say, I am happy about writing my biography of my life. I use to be a victim of domestic violence, abused in a bad marriage. Many victims are not here today to tell their story, and that is why I am very grateful that God gave me the opportunity to tell my story to inspire those whom are going through domestic violence, or those who had a family member or friend who did. I believe it is critical for me to understand the new changes for getting my book published. It also means as an author, I understand the new roles that today’s authors are facing. 
Once upon a time about two decades ago, authors wrote their stories on a typewriter, used white out, and rewrote their stories over and over again. This kind of writing made authors frustrated, stressed if words were misspelled incorrectly, and few authors finished their stories due to so much time having to be put into writing from typing on the typewriter. If an author did finish their book, the next step was getting it professionally edited, shopping for a publisher, a literary agent, and so on. However, today more people are writing because technology has changed. Now more people have PC’s in their homes, which cuts down an author’s frustration for misspelled words and using white out for corrections. The computer has caused more first time writers to write books and get them published. Word processor programs, publishing software, and sophisticated laser printers contribute in helping people write novels more today also. Let’s talk about why is traditional publishing changing. First, I can say that when I researched about today’s publishing business model, I discovered that if an author independently self published them selves a couple of decades ago, the author’s work was not considered good and lacked talent. Today that has changed. More authors are self-publishing their books because publishing companies have made it almost impossible to support an author unless he or she is well known and famous which is called an A-List client. Secondly, being a celebrity or a famous author, more popular literary agents are publishing more big name clients instead of un-known authors.  Publishing companies are taking a fine tooth-comb and looking to see where and how they will be successful in profits for signing celebrities because after all, agents make his or her living by commission.
A regular author has a far less chance in making a living writing a book today. According to Steven Mather “it has become more difficult for the aspiring writer to get published and make any significant money doing so”, “You can’t make a living at writing, but you can make a killing” (Mather, S. 2009, Para. 4). The reason it’s harder for an author to make a lot of money quickly is because more people are writing and less people are buying hard copy books. The digital era is in. More authors have to work harder because of their competition, advertise them selves by using creative marketing techniques, and getting an agent to shop for a reputable publishing company.  I will be honest, I never dreamed of writing a book, but because I have an Apple computer that is the latest technology of PC’s, I thought it would be easier to write my book. Is it easy writing? I will say it has been challenging, but I am determined. I have not made up in my mind which way to go as far as self-publishing or shooting for a big literary agent. I’m almost convinced I would do better to self publish my book. I was amazed at the astonishing number of authors that were published over the last two decades.
Steven Mather states the number of new books published per year has skyrocketed from 50,000 in 1985 to near 200,000 in 2004, many written by first-time writers (Mather, S. 2009, Para 4). So all you first time authors, good luck, and much success to you all.
Mather, S., (2009). Is the future of traditional publishing changing? Retrieved on October 6, 2011 from http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/project-decisions/the-future-of-publishing-the-collapse-of-the-traditional-buisness-model-30236

Mather, S. (2009). Has the traditional business model of publishing begun to change? Retrieved on October 6, 2011 from http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/project-decisions/the-future-of-publishing-the-collapse-of-the-traditional-buisness-model-30236

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment