Sunday, August 7, 2011

Celebrity Buzz with Joi Marshall!


Everyone has singers from groups and as soloist artists who they look up to, or has looked up to. I have had the privilege and honor to talk to one of mines in which I never would have thought I would be interviewing. I was able to talk to the one and only Joi Marshall from the former all girls group JADE who was popular in 90’s with their debut song “Don’t Walk Away”. I remember singing JADE’s songs dancing and looking up to three beautiful young ladies with my friends at parties and at home. Their sound was amazing and catchy! I laugh now, but I would ask my friends, “Joi has some long braids, are those heavy”! Never the less, JADE was a group I admired and wanted to meet. I did not get to then, but later on I would not have realized that it would come true. I have not however met all three ladies, but in due time it may happen. However, I did get the honor in meeting with one of the ladies from JADE and I was shocked and happy to have met Joi Marshall. I asked Joi if I could talk to her about the group’s career in dealing with their music contract with former manager’s Irving Azoff and Cassandra Mills, and song writing. Here is our conversation:
(Monique): Who was JADE’s manager?
(Joi): We had two managers from Giant Record named Irving Azoff and Cassandra Mills. However, it was a total conflict of interest along with the deal being more one sided instead of being mutual. Both managed us for four years. Not much to talk about.
(Monique): I see. As a group, who wrote most of your songs?
(Joi): We all wrote our songs, along with other songwriters. I wrote the song “Give Me What I’m Missing”. JADE equally shared the royalties from all songs. We got paid for our songs for the airplay.
(Monique): I noticed the song “Don’t walk Away” went double platinum, what songwriter wrote that song?
(Joi): Oh! That was Vassal Benford and Ron Spearman.
(Monique): I loved that song and the other songs on the albums!
(Monique): Were you always a songwriter?
(Joi): yes! I wrote songs, and I still write songs! It is a passion that I love to do.
(Monique): Are you writing songs for yourself now to reinvent you as an artist?
(Joi): Yes, I am writing songs for myself because I plan on singing again, but more of singing spiritual songs. If you go on YouTube, you can find me singing a song I wrote called “ I Needed”
(Monique): Girl, I’ve already heard it and you sound beautiful! The song is touching.
(Monique): If there is anything you can tell inspiring artists on contract deals what would it be?
(Joi): Well, I wrote a book about that and it’s called “Answers to the 20 Most Asked Questions About The Music Business” Artists can find everything they need in my book and feel confident in having control of their music careers. I also will say, stay away from the 360 deal! It is a trap that allows the label to own everything and you would be wasting your time!
(Monique): What do Joi say to artists and inspiring artists about their fans?
(Joi): More than anything, have a relationship with your fans and be fan oriented. After all, it is the fans that make you who you are. Always follow your dreams!
(Monique): Last but not least, what can we as fans expect from Joi Marshall in the near future?
(Joi): Live events,teachings based on the call of God on my life, spiritual songs, and writing songs for other artists!
(Monique): Ok, well Joi! I thank you for your time and this interview. I have learned alot from you and hope I will get other chances of many more interviews. Be blessed, and let God use you! Don't forget readers, if anyone needs songs written, Joi is talented at this! 
One love everyone! Here is a video of JADE, and a video of Joi's song "I Needed" currently.



References: YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYXBjh93UUU
                                         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ9HG0nGe-g

No comments:

Post a Comment